Published Thursday, Sept. 13, 2012 | 1:58 p.m
For at least a part of the lunch hour Thursday, it was flame-broiled, not fried, at a McDonald’s restaurant in the southeast valley.
A grease fire that raged out of control in the kitchen of the restaurant at 1343 E. Silverado Ranch Boulevard, near South Maryland Parkway, caused employees and customers to evacuate just after 12:30 Thursday afternoon .
It took Clark County firefighters about half an hour to extinguish the fire, which was reported at 12:34 p.m., said county spokesman Dan Kulin.
When firefighters arrived, heavy smoke was pouring out of the roof and could be seen throughout the interior of the restaurant, said Fire Capt. Warren Sprague. Flames also were visible in the kitchen, where the grease fire spread to the ceiling.
The 22 firefighters who responded had the fire extinguished by 12:56 p.m., Sprague said. The fire was contained to the kitchen, though other areas of the restaurant appeared to have sustained smoke and water damage.
Employees who huddled outside the restaurant would not comment to a reporter.
The restaurant is closed, and the cause of the fire remains under investigation.
Kulin said there were no initial reports of injuries, and officials had not determined a estimated cost of the damage.
Grease fire causes $40,000 damage to Naperville restaurant
February 4, 2013 12:08P
A grease fire Sunday night caused $40,000 in damage to a Chinese restaurant in Naperville.
Firefighters responded to a call from an employee of Katy’s Dumpling House about a grease fire in wok in the kitchen, according to the Naperville Fire Department.
Olives plagued by another grease fire
Thursday night, Olives restaurant had its third grease fire since 2001, causing damage estimated at $200,000. (Wendy Maeda/Globe Staff)
Globe Staff /May 29, 2010
Given all the costly lawsuits he’s been hit with recently, Todd Englishmight want to swap his spatula for a scrubber and start cleaning out the ducts of his restaurants.
In 2001, a grease fire in some dirty ducts shut down his Olives eatery in Charlestown. In 2007, fire officials say it happened there again. In 2008, a grease fire in the exhaust duct at Figs, English’s Beacon Hill pizzeria, forced that restaurant to close temporarily. And now Olives is closed again, after fire officials said another grease fire in the ducts there Thursday night caused an estimated $200,000 in damage.
Nobody was hurt, but diners and staff were evacuated. According to Boston Fire Department spokesman Steve McDonald, the fire broke out at 7:19 p.m. and was caused by “failure to clean, something that is fairly common in restaurants.
The grease buildup was ignited by gases from cooking in the kitchen, MacDonald said. From there, flames and smoke spread up the ductwork into an exhaust fan.
MacDonald said he expected there would be no citations for Olives. State regulations say restaurants must have their ducts cleaned quarterly and cleared of grease buildup.
Fire at Berkeley’s Great China restaurant on Kittredge St.
January 25, 2012 10:58 pmby Tracey Taylor
Flames in the building at 2115 Kittredge Street. Photo: Jorge Toledo
Update,01.26.12, 5:50 pm: A Bay City News report puts the value of the fire damage to Great China restaurant at $700,000. The fire also destroyed the restaurant’s stock of wine, according to Berkeleyside reader Foster, a fan of the restaurant, who writes: “James Yu, the second generation owner, said it would be six months before they will be able to reopen. James’ wonderful wine collection was lost.” (Berkeley winemaker Chris Brockman of Broc Cellars recently selected Great China’s wine list as one of his favorites, for no other reason, he said, than it was “completely unexpected”.)
Update, 01.26.12, 10:45 am: The fire broke out at around 9:20 pm last night in the kitchen of Great China restaurant and spread through the hood and flue of the cooking range. According to Deputy Fire Chief Gil Dong, the fire was upgraded to a 2-alarm when flames caught at the ceiling and roof joists. The fire was settled by 11:30 pm, but firefighters stayed on the scene to ensure it didn’t retake. The photo above, by Jorge Toledo, shows flames emerging from the top rear of the building.
Deputy Fire Chief Gil Dong told the Daily Californian that the fire started in a flue between Razan’s and Great China restaurant next door. It broke out at 9:30 and was contained a short time later. Both restaurants were evacuated.
KING 5 reportsthat the Rickshaw Restaurantin north Greenwood had a grease fire Saturday night. According to KING’s story, a grease fire erupted in the kitchen at 322 N. 105th St. around 11 p.m., while patrons were singing karaoke. No one was injured.
Update Monday 1:45 p.m.: Here’s more info from Seattle Fire Department’s Fire Line blog:
Seattle Firefighters quick actions contained a fire to the kitchen of a North Seattle restaurant Saturday Night. Around 11 p.m., an employee of the business in the 300 block of North 105th Street called to report a fire in the range hood of the eatery.
Engine Company 31 arrived to find heavy smoke and flames coming from the roof vents of the 2-story restaurant. All of the employees and approximately 40 customers safely evacuated from the business by the time firefighters arrived.
Firefighters made entry into the smoke-filled restaurant’s kitchen and knocked down the flames within 15 minutes of arriving. Due to their quick actions, firefighters were able to contain the flames to about a 15-foot-area of the kitchen.
A Seattle Fire Investigator is calling the fire an accidental fire caused by food on the stove that ignited grease in the range hood. The damage estimate is $25,000 to the structure and $20,000 to the contents.
There were no injuries.