Articles - Pro Clean Team

Restaurant Services > Articles


Grease fire flame broils SE valley McDonald’s


For at least a part of the lunch hour Thursday, it was flame-broiled, not fried, at a McDonald’s restaurant in the southeast valley.

A grease fire that raged out of control in the kitchen of the restaurant at 1343 E. Silverado Ranch Boulevard, near South Maryland Parkway, caused employees and customers to evacuate just after 12:30 Thursday afternoon .

It took Clark County firefighters about half an hour to extinguish the fire, which was reported at 12:34 p.m., said county spokesman Dan Kulin.

When firefighters arrived, heavy smoke was pouring out of the roof and could be seen throughout the interior of the restaurant, said Fire Capt. Warren Sprague. Flames also were visible in the kitchen, where the grease fire spread to the ceiling.

The 22 firefighters who responded had the fire extinguished by 12:56 p.m., Sprague said. The fire was contained to the kitchen, though other areas of the restaurant appeared to have sustained smoke and water damage.

Employees who huddled outside the restaurant would not comment to a reporter.

The restaurant is closed, and the cause of the fire remains under investigation.

Kulin said there were no initial reports of injuries, and officials had not determined a estimated cost of the damage.

 Grease fire causes $40,000 damage to Naperville restaurant

Firefighters responded to a call from an employee of Katy’s Dumpling House about a grease fire in wok in the kitchen, according to the Naperville Fire Department.


Olives plagued by another grease fire

Thursday night, Olives restaurant had its third grease fire since 2001, causing damage estimated at $200,000. (Wendy Maeda/Globe Staff)

By Mark Shanahan & Meredith Goldstein

Globe Staff /May 29, 2010

Given all the costly lawsuits he’s been hit with recently, Todd Englishmight want to swap his spatula for a scrubber and start cleaning out the ducts of his restaurants.



 In 2001, a grease fire in some dirty ducts shut down his Olives eatery in Charlestown. In 2007, fire officials say it happened there again. In 2008, a grease fire in the exhaust duct at Figs, English’s Beacon Hill pizzeria, forced that restaurant to close temporarily. And now Olives is closed again, after fire officials said another grease fire in the ducts there Thursday night caused an estimated $200,000 in damage.

Nobody was hurt, but diners and staff were evacuated. According to Boston Fire Department spokesman Steve McDonald, the fire broke out at 7:19 p.m. and was caused by “failure to clean, something that is fairly common in restaurants.

The grease buildup was ignited by gases from cooking in the kitchen, MacDonald said. From there, flames and smoke spread up the ductwork into an exhaust fan.

  MacDonald said he expected there would be no citations for Olives. State regulations say restaurants must have their ducts cleaned quarterly and cleared of grease buildup.

Fire at Berkeley’s Great China restaurant on Kittredge St.

January 25, 2012 10:58 pmby Tracey Taylor


Flames in the building at 2115 Kittredge Street. Photo: Jorge Toledo

Update,01.26.12, 5:50 pm: A Bay City News report puts the value of the fire damage to Great China restaurant at $700,000. The fire also destroyed the restaurant’s stock of wine, according to Berkeleyside reader Foster, a fan of the restaurant, who writes: “James Yu, the second generation owner, said it would be six months before they will be able to reopen. James’ wonderful wine collection was lost.” (Berkeley winemaker Chris Brockman of Broc Cellars recently selected Great China’s wine list as one of his favorites, for no other reason, he said, than it was “completely unexpected”.)

Update, 01.26.12, 10:45 am: The fire broke out at around 9:20 pm last night in the kitchen of Great China restaurant and spread through the hood and flue of the cooking range. According to Deputy Fire Chief Gil Dong, the fire was upgraded to a 2-alarm when flames caught at the ceiling and roof joists. The fire was settled by 11:30 pm, but firefighters stayed on the scene to ensure it didn’t retake.   The photo above, by Jorge Toledo, shows flames emerging from the top rear of the building.

Deputy Fire Chief Gil Dong told the Daily Californian that the fire started in a flue between Razan’s and Great China restaurant next door. It broke out at 9:30 and was contained a short time later. Both restaurants were evacuated.






Lawsuit sparks from 50th & Bryant blaze

By Aaron Rupar

Blackbird sues Heidi’s over February 2010 fire

It’s true — Blackbird Café is suing Heidi’s Restaurant for $383,000, but the situation is more complicated than it appears upon first blush.

Early this month, Blackbird was named as a plaintiff in a lawsuit filed against Heidi’s co-owners Stewart and Heidi Woodman. The suit alleges the Woodmans acted negligently by failing to maintain the restaurant’s fire suppression system in the days leading up to the February 2010 fire.

The blaze began as a grease fire in Heidi’s kitchen, spread into the building’s tin ceiling and quickly engulfed the entire structure, laying ruin to a Lynnhurst landmark that was home to five businesses at 50th & Bryant, including Blackbird and Patina.

But Blackbird co-owner Gail Mollner said the lawsuit was actually instigated by Blackbird’s insurance company, which is seeking reimbursement for the settlement it gave to Mollner and Stevens following the fire.

“We actually have not filed a lawsuit. Blackbird is not suing Heidi’s,” Mollner said, adding that she and Stevens had never been in a situation like this before and were as surprised by the filing as anyone else.

According to Andrew Sveen, an attorney with Nilan Johnson Lewis, the firm representing Blackbird, the suit is an example of a subrogation claim.

Under subrogation an insurance company assumes the right of the insured to sue the party who is allegedly responsible for damages to the extent for which it has reimbursed the insured.

“Blackbird received an insurance payment as a result of the fire, and the insurance company has a right to recover that payment,” Sveen said.

Sandra Grove, the attorney representing Heidi’s, said that “in Minnesota, in a case like this, there is no legal option for the insurance company to sue” — hence the suit being brought on behalf of Blackbird.

In the court filing, Blackbird’s attorneys allege that before the fire, Heidi’s replaced its kitchen gas range with a larger unit but didn’t make commensurate upgrades to the restaurant’s fire suppression system.

“Heidi’s owed a duty to Blackbird to have the [fire suppression system] and ventilation ductwork properly inspected, installed and maintained… so as to prevent flare-ups and kitchen fires from spreading into adjoining properties,” the filing says.

The filing argues that Heidi’s ownership breached its duties by negligently and carelessly installing a gas range without modifying the fire suppression system; by failing to have the fire suppression system properly inspected and tested; and by failing to follow the warnings provided by the restaurant’s ductwork cleaning service “that there was a two inch hole in the exhaust ductwork which presented a fire hazard and needed to be repaired,” among other allegations.

The Minneapolis Fire Department’s investigation doesn’t suggest that negligence contributed to the blaze. In a report, the MFD’s investigator concludes that the 50th & Bryant blaze “was an accidental fire caused by a fire that entered the kitchen hood exhaust system in an inaccessible attic area above the retail space.”

Steward and Heidi Woodman didn’t respond to a phone call seeking comment. However, in an e-mail, Steward Woodman said “the notion that Heidi and I were negligent on any level is simply laughable.”

Grove refused to comment when asked how she and the Woodmans planned to respond to the filing’s allegations, though she added that a written response had already been prepared.

Since the fire, both Blackbird and Heidi’s have reopened in new Southwest locations — Blackbird at 38th & Nicollet and Heidi’s at 29th & Lyndale. Both restaurants have reported brisk business and received favorable reviews.

Meanwhile, the reconstruction of 50th & Bryant continues. The new building’s foundation is now in place, and work on the rebuilt commercial structure should wrap up next month. Rick Haase, co-owner of the 50th & Bryant property and Patina, said Patina plans to reopen at the corner this July.

Reached for comment a few days after the lawsuit was filed on May 2, Mollner said she hoped the Woodmans aren’t harboring any hard feelings toward her or Stevens, though she hadn’t made an attempt to contact them.

Regarding the timing of the lawsuit, she said it was her understanding that the insurance company was gathering information about the circumstances of the blaze and had been planning to file a suit for some time.

“The bottom line is we got an enormous chunk of money from our insurance company,” Mollner said, “and someone needs to pay for that.”

Grease fire at Rickshaw Restaurant in Greenwood Saturday night

March 25th, 2012 · 19 Comments

KING 5 reportsthat the Rickshaw Restaurantin north Greenwood had a grease fire Saturday night. According to KING’s story, a grease fire erupted in the kitchen at 322 N. 105th St. around 11 p.m., while patrons were singing karaoke. No one was injured.

Update Monday 1:45 p.m.: Here’s more info from Seattle Fire Department’s Fire Line blog:

Seattle Firefighters quick actions contained a fire to the kitchen of a North Seattle restaurant Saturday Night. Around 11 p.m., an employee of the business in the 300 block of North 105th Street called to report a fire in the range hood of the eatery.

Engine Company 31 arrived to find heavy smoke and flames coming from the roof vents of the 2-story restaurant. All of the employees and approximately 40 customers safely evacuated from the business by the time firefighters arrived.

Firefighters made entry into the smoke-filled restaurant’s kitchen and knocked down the flames within 15 minutes of arriving. Due to their quick actions, firefighters were able to contain the flames to about a 15-foot-area of the kitchen.

A Seattle Fire Investigator is calling the fire an accidental fire caused by food on the stove that ignited grease in the range hood. The damage estimate is $25,000 to the structure and $20,000 to the contents.

There were no injuries.